[tei-council] a proposal for a change to ODD (copy of ticket I just put in SF)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 19:22:37 EST 2010

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> surprises at future releases. New attributes _will_ pop up sometimes, but I think that's bearable.

And of course content models and class memberships might change as
well...but of course that is true at the moment.

> As an alternative, if you dont like <*Ref>, we could add an attribute "copyOf" to <*Spec>, with the
> same effect.

I prefer your initial suggestion.

> I believe that there is real demand for this (Tite is an excellent example
> of a project which badly needs no surprises at TEI version changes),
> that it is doable, and that it does not mean a rethink of ODD.

I think all of those are good points. Though with the last I would hope
that this would fit in with any changes we do make to ODD eventually.
(but of course we can't predict that?) I've been trying to think of
flaws with this setup which would cause problems.  The only anxiousness
I have is something to do with what it means for processing if an ODD
seems to be using both inherited and explicit models simultaneously.

-James