[tei-council] Criteria for TEI Repository Inclusion

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 06:59:40 EST 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 11:50, James Cummings wrote:

> Yes, but it has also been fairly well used for putting one-off
> XSLT scripts there as well because the TEI provides no other
> centralised place to put community-contributed stylesheets.

I would question your use of "well used".  Yes, there is a representation of code
there, which one has to painfully copy and paste (from memory), but
we have done no analysis of any kind on whether it is effective,
appreciated, or has had any impact. It might well be/have had, but
we don't know.

But my hatred of wikis makes me digress, sorry :-}

>  This
> comes back really to the heart of what I was trying to get at...
> that TEI-C needs a defined policy of when it adopts
> community-created *stuff* (ODDs, Software, Whatever).

agreed. and whether its "adopt yes/no"
or "adopt entirely /  manage development of / just provide space for"

>  Another
> answer to this is to say there is no policy, but create some
> repository specifically for community-created *stuff*.

do you think, being serious now, that the barriers to SF and Google Code
are too high for the casual user? or can we just set up a "TEI contrib" project?
I'd say that an unmanaged project is doomed to failure, and that
we (TEI Council) cannot justify time spent on management from our
very limited budget

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente