[tei-council] Criteria for TEI Repository Inclusion

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 06:44:53 EST 2010

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2010, at 11:25, James Cummings wrote:
>
>>> no. cos wikis are not, by any stretch of the imagination,
>>> the right tool for software distribution. IMHO.
>> ODDs are not software, they are documentation and meta-schema.
> they are so software!
>   <elementSpec ident="foo">
> is a specification of a task in a computer language, which an
> appropriate processor will act upon.

We'll have to agree to differ here, to me a schema is not
software, but the thing processing the schema is software.  It is
simply a configuration file or documentation file. I'll assume
we're just using different definitions.  But I think this
theoretical distinction isn't actually germane to the problem
we're discussing.

> you only count software as code in which you can write a turing
> machine?

No, I believe no such thing. Plenty of software is not
turing-complete.  In my mind an ODD is not software because the
ODD doesn't *do* anything, simply documents the rules by which
something (validation perhaps) could be done.  The ODD/schema
processor is software because it takes this configuration file
and does something with it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who
makes a distinction between files which do something (whether
text-based scripts or not) and files which are just inputs to
those. But again, this isn't getting us anywhere.

-James