[tei-council] Criteria for TEI Repository Inclusion

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 06:43:26 EST 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 11:36, James Cummings wrote:

> case that ODDs are software.  Yes, we can use software-tools to
> manage them and there is nothing wrong with that, but ODDs as
> meta-schema and documentation especially when being
> collaboratively authored might benefit from collaborative
> authoring tools, like say wikis. Alternatively, when an ODD
> reaches a certain stability I see no problem having it in a wiki
> page with accompanying documentation about how to use it and why
> it was made. It is just one tool in the toolbox.

Your arguments apply just as much, or not, to eg Javascript
code or Python programs.  Whether a wiki is the right place
to manage .xml or .py has no relation to whether its doc or code -
its structured computer language.

Our TEI wiki is a pretty low-class primitive CMS, designed
for looking after _documents_. It groks a particular
document markup language, and does it well, which
is why we use it for collaborative editing. It does not grok
arbitrary XML (or JS, or Python, or PHP), which makes
it an unsuitable container for collaborative editing of that
type of content.

If wikimedia was a higher class of document repository
like (god help us) Sharepoint, then I might be be convinced.
But its non-text management is grotesquely primitive.

IMHO.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente