[tei-council] Criteria for TEI Repository Inclusion

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 06:17:14 EST 2010

I agree with Laurent : the Council should concern itself with
developments which are strategic for the TEI as a whole -- things which
enable the TEI to do its business properly. ODD itself is in that
category, clearly. Light, and Tite (because of the tie-in with the
membership deal which the Board has confected) are strategic because
they are regarded as typical generic TEI applications  by the community.
By contrast there are huge numbers of TEI users (and I say it with
sorrow) who are and can remain blissfully ignorant of the delights of
Epidoc or Enrich.

A TEI solution for digital publishing is a different matter -- possibly
intermediate between the two. Most existing use cases (and there are
some) seem to start from TEI Lite and tweak it a bit (or a lot) so there
may well be a case for this coming into the Council's remit.  I assume
that it's on the brief of the Publishing SIG to work towards a proposal
for a common TEI profile, which could form the basis of such a thing.