[tei-council] FR 2862151: allow certainty in gap and space

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 17 07:03:05 EST 2010

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I haven't thought about it yet. Is this so that we can put notes inside
> the graphic a la METS?

Or HTML in my use-case, but yes something like that.  My basic
argument would be: There are plenty of places where one only has
graphic (or graphic is semantically the right choice over figure)
where one also has a need to create a description of the graphic
element.  For example, when wanting to output either HTML (I
guess or METS) you may wish to provide some text for the
@html:alt attribute on html:img. Currently the TEI gives no easy
way to do this (without abusing the semantics of figure, even if
it were available everywhere graphic is, which it isn't).  Given
that some countries have disability legislation that means
websites of publicly-funded institutions (such as universities)
must provide alt text for images and other accessibility rules
(SENDA in the UK), it seems reasonable that the TEI should have a
straightforward way of providing descriptions of graphics.  This
might also prove useful in locations where figure is not allowed
but graphic is (e.g. facsimile).

-James