[tei-council] xml:space

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 09:44:23 EST 2010

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> "… between the first and second items, and that between the
> second and third, is significant only if the content model for
>
> no. the XML processor does not look at the schema, it simply looks
> to see if there _is_ text as well as <item>

oops, yes. I was thinking SGML whitespace rules there. Tsk tsk. More
coffee needed.

> "Most TEI elements are defined as having mixed content, and
> for the most part TEI markup appears at places in a document where the
> presence or absence of whitespace is not in any case significant. "
>
> eh? the opposite, surely? "For the most part TEI markup appears at places in a document where the whitespace is significant"

Well, what I meant was that 99.9% of the TEI tags used in the world are
things like <p> or <div> which if you put a space before or after them
it really doesn't make much difference.

> "an editor is not then permitted "  --> "an editor or processor is not then permitted "
> --

yes. I already fixed that to read "an XML editor or other processor"