[tei-council] facsKey agayne

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 12:53:09 EST 2010

Lou wrote:
> Yes, it might be a good idea to document somewhere how the process of
> locating that something is supposed to be carried out but it's not
> likely to be as simple as "follow this xPath". It's more likely to be
> "feed this token into this select statement" or "add a .prn at the end
> and a wibble at the beginning and feed the result into the CMS".
> Personally, I think the TEI does better to leave well alone -- and say
> "this is a magic token. do the right thing with it".

If we are planning to move this to things like @ref and @target
and other xsd:anyURI attributes, then I think it should be
documented. I don't think we need to specify the method of
documentation, just that it should be documented. I would propose
that there should be a container element in the header somewhere
(perhaps there is a suitable location already?) as the location
for describing the method for resolving or nature of these
pseudo-protocols.

I want to suggest a requirement that any pseudo-protocol name
should be the @xml:id of this description. This does have the, I
think beneficial, side-effect of limiting the values of these
pseudo-protocols to be an XML QName.... thus it couldn't have
spaces so you could not do: facs="john walsh:abc123" but could
do: facs="john_walsh:abc123" with a <protocolDecl
xml:id="john_walsh">This is just something John made
up.</protocolDecl>.

I think that it should be an error (schematron enforced?) if the
protocol is not so defined unless it is one of the official IANA
registered protocol schemes. (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme#Official_IANA-registered_schemes
... though there are many that are unofficial which I had assumed
were official.)

That seems to me to tread the balance between proper
documentation and freedom/flexibility.

-james