[tei-council] xml:space

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Feb 8 14:15:34 EST 2010

James Cummings wrote:
> I sometimes think that I should write a blog post entitled:
> "Global Attributes Considered Harmful", because it annoys the
> heck out of me every time I notice a global attribute on some
> element (usually in the header) which doesn't make sense with the
> semantics of that element. In most cases it is because to my mind
> the attribute in question should be global-underneath-text rather
> than truly global.

I think global attributes deserve to be so when the difficulty of
restricting them without endless bickering outweighs the annoyance you
(and others) feel when they're inappropriately available.

I can almost always think of ways that anything that shows up in <text>
might show up also in <teiHeader> somewhere. Perhaps I prefer to express
my <sourceDesc> in the form of Anglo-Saxon verse, for instance, and I
want @xml:space="preserve" so that the half-lines line up properly.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)
Half-Baked Software, Inc.