[tei-council] Apologies for late arrival at the telco

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Feb 8 12:24:17 EST 2010

Hi Laurent,

These are the 62 item types I've needed to differentiate over the past
few years:

    1. ABSTRACT
    2. ADDENDUM
    3. ANNOUNCEMENT
    4. ARTICLE COMMENTARY
    5. ARTWORK
    6. AUDIO RECORDING
    7. BILL
    8. BLOG
    9. BLOG POSTING
   10. BOOK - one author
   11. BOOK - two authors
   12. BOOK - three authors
   13. BOOK - four or more authors
   14. BOOK - EDITED
   15. BOOKS - MULTIPLE EDITIONS
   16. BOOK - MULTIPLE VOLUMES
   17. BOOKS - CORPORATE AUTHOR
   18. BOOK IN A SERIES
   19. BOOK REVIEW in a JOURNAL
   20. BOOK SUBMITTED BUT NOT YET PUBLISHED
   21. CASE
   22. CHAPTER IN A BOOK (WORK IN AN ANTHOLOGY)
   23. COMPUTER SOFTWARE
   24. DISSERTATION or THESIS (UNPUBLISHED)
   25. E-BOOK
   26. EDITION (of a saga or similar traditional text)
   27. ENCYCLOPEDIA or DICTIONARY ENTRY
   28. FILM, VIDEOTAPE, or DVD
   29. GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT
   30. HEARING
   31. INSTANT MESSAGE
   32. JOURNAL ARTICLE
   33. JOURNAL ARTICLE in a SPECIAL ISSUE
   34. LETTER
   35. MAGAZINE – NO AUTHOR
   36. MANUSCRIPT
   37. MAP
   38. NEWSPAPER: NO AUTHOR
   39. ONLINE ARTICLE
   40. ONLINE BROCHURE
   41. ONLINE COMMUNITY
   42. ONLINE FACT SHEET
   43. ONLINE LETTER TO EDITOR
   44. ONLINE PROJECT
   45. ONLINE PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
   46. ONLINE REPORT
   47. PATENT
   48. PERSONAL COMMUNICATION
   49. PERSONAL INTERVIEW
   50. PRESENTATION (e.g. Conference paper)
   51. PODCAST
   52. PRIVATE EMAIL
   53. PAPER IN A PROCEEDINGS
   54. PAPER SUBMITTED BUT NOT YET PUBLISHED
   55. PAPER (UNPUBLISHED) DELIVERED AT A CONFERENCE
   56. RADIO BROADCAST
   57. REPRINT
   58. STATUTE
   59. TELEVISION: NEWS BROADCAST
   60. TELEVISION: SERIES EPISODE
   61. TRANSLATION
   62. WEBSITE

The main reasons for having to differentiate them have been the
requirement to render them in particular ways to conform with one or
other of the major style guides (or the idiosyncratic preferences of an
editor). We might start by trying to reduce these to a set of coherent
categories.