[tei-council] Monday ticket agenda

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 7 14:59:27 EST 2010

On 7 Feb 2010, at 19:50, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I favour having it in both places -- If it's no longer allowed as a
> child of <imprint>, I'll have hundreds of documents and a huge amount of
> XSLT to fix. :-)
oh well, yes, there is that small problem!

> On the larger issue, though, I don't really know what <imprint> is
> doing, exactly. One reason I'm beginning to move away from <biblStruct>
> in favour of <bibl>

you worry me. I hope you are not following the model of our
Great Leader From France, who has had in the past a habit
of filling a <bibl> with database-like markup and being surprised
when no punctuation is generated. If you do <bibl>, you're in charge
of all the formatting. <biblStruct> is much more robust. IMHO.

>  I'm never sure why some elements
> are direct children of <biblStruct> and some show up in <imprint>.
I'd probably agree, if we were starting from scratch

> As a newbie, I realize I don't know whether, or under what conditions,
> changes to P5 that break backward compatibility would be allowed. Is
> there a policy on this? I would tend to assume that any changes to P5
> should maintain backward compabitility with previous iterations of P5,
> while anything that would break compatibility should be moved forward
> into the plans for P6. Is that how it works?

the <soCalled>Birnbaum doctrine</soCalled> states that we should
never break backward compatibility - except when we really have to.
It's not forbidden, merely to be taken very seriously.

There _are_ no plans for P6, it should be noted. Its entirely unclear
to me what would prompt us to cross that Rubicon.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente