[tei-council] certainty revised

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 7 10:44:23 EST 2010

Martin Holmes wrote:

> --------------------
>
> The current documentation for <certainty>
> (<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-certainty.html>)
> includes an example based on:
>
> Ernest went to <anchor xml:id="A1"/> old
> <persName xml:id="SYB">Saybrook</persName>.
>
> and it says "For discussion of this example, see section 21.1.2
> Structured Indications of Uncertainty", but the example discussed in
> 21.1.2 is now the much better (IMHO) example of Elizabeth and Essex.

Fixed xref; thanks!

> --------------------
>
> The example of the abbreviation expansion of SGML looks like this:
>
> You will want to use
> <choice>
>   <expan xml:id="CE-e1">Standard
>     Generalized Markup Language</expan>
>   <expan xml:id="CE-e40">Some Grandiose Methodology for Losers</expan>
>   <abbr>SGML</abbr>
> </choice> ...
>
> <!-- ... -->
> <certainty target="#CE-e1" locus="value" degree="0.9"/>
> <certainty target="#CE-e40" locus="value" degree="0.5"/>
>
> I suspect that the second @degree value should be "0.1", shouldn't it?
> Don't the two have to add up to 1?

Um, no I don't think so. They are independent probabilities, I think.
Unless @given is used, of course.

> ---------------------
>
> Finally, I find myself a little puzzled by the application of
> <precision> to @notAfter, @notBefore, etc. My habit in using these
> attributes has been to decide once and for all, based on known
> information and logical deduction, what the _actual_ earliest and latest
> possible dates would be. It seems a little odd to me to say that
> something is "not after 1857", but there's a 50% chance that it might
> be. If you're not sure it's @notAfter="1857", then you need to move your
> @notAfter value forward until you can be sure, don't you?

That would seem like a sensible practoce to me too. I observe only that
people like to be more nuanced (or vague) sometimes.

In my
> experience, there always _is_ a genuine value for @notBefore or
> @notAfter -- in the case of an action by a person, for instance, the
> date before which they were definitely not born, the date after which
> they were definitely dead, or the point at which they would have been so
> old as to break all known longevity records. After all, @notAfter is
> defined as specifying "the latest possible date".

yes, but....

> One example from the text:
>
> <residence from="1857-03-01" notAfter="1857-04-30">From the 1st of March to
> some time in April of 1857.
> <precision match="@notAfter" degree="0.5"/>
> </residence>
>
> Now, if "some time in April" is true, then @degree should surely be
> "1.0".

No, the precision implies only to the @notAfter value

If "some time in April" is doubtful, then surely so is "the 1st
> of March".

Why? You might have documentary evidence for the 1st of March, for example.

But if there is doubt, that doubt presumably originates in
> external evidence, which ought at least to be adduced, and which itself
> would presumably give a more realistic value for @notAfter.

Or it might not!

I think this example is quite plausible as it stands, but would you find
it more convincing if the @notAfter were replaced by a @to ?