[tei-council] certainty revised

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 29 11:46:54 EST 2010

Here's my couple of cents on the first part -- I haven't had time to get
through it all yet:

---------------------

QUOTE:

[one]
the note element defined in section 3.8 Notes, Annotation, and Indexing
may be used with a value of certainty for its type  attribute.

[two (example)]
<persName>Elizabeth</persName> went to <placeName>Essex</placeName>. She
had always liked <placeName>Essex</placeName>.
<note type="uncertainty" resp="#MSM">It is not
clear here whether <mentioned>Essex</mentioned>
refers to the place or to the nobleman. -MSM</note>

COMMENT:

The text says type="certainty", the example shows type="uncertainty".

---------------------

QUOTE:

@match  	supplies an arbitrary XPath expression identifying a set of
nodes, selected within the context identified by the target attribute if
this is supplied, or by the parent element if it is not.

COMMENT:

This was at the heart of the previous discussion, and for me it's still
not absolutely clear at this point in the text. The parent element of
what? Later we learn that it's the parent of the <certainty>,
<precision> or <respons> element bearing the @match attribute, but I
think it would help to specify it here.

---------------------

QUOTE:

[one]
The certainty element is designed to encode the following sorts:
[...]
     * the content of an element is uncertain, perhaps because it is
hard to read or hard to hear, or for some other reason.

[two (just below)]
The following types of uncertainty are not indicated with the certainty
element:
[...]
     * the document being transcribed may be read in different ways (for
this use the transcriptional elements such as unclear, discussed in
chapter 11 Representation of Primary Sources)

COMMENT:

These seem in direct contradiction: the first is saying "use <certainty>
where the text is uncertain because it's hard to read", and the second
is saying "don't use <certainty where the text may be read in different
ways because it's unclear". If this isn't a contradiction, then I think
it needs more detailed explanation.

---------------------

QUOTE:

locus  	indicates more exactly the aspect concerning which uncertainty
is being expressed: for example, whether the markup is correctly
located, whether the right element or attribute name has been used,
whether the content of the element or attribute is correct, etc.

COMMENT:

Since @locus is constrained to one of five fixed values (according to
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-certainty.html>,
I think it would be best to specify that here. As it reads now, you
might get the impression that anything goes.

Hope this helps,
Martin