[tei-council] xml:space in TEI

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 25 08:57:38 EST 2010

We've come across a use-case where we need inter-element spaces to be
preserved in processing (in the text transcription area where mixed
content is unavoidable), and the solution to this seems to be to stick
an xml:space="preserve" on the div in question. Would anyone have any
objection to adding this attribute to the TEI menu, alongside the other
attributes from the xml: namespace we use already?

(It was pointed out that as this is in the xml: and not the tei:
namespace that we could add it locally without compromising conformance,
but I'm not sure if this is true or not. My--probably naïve--test of
conformance to to ask whether my XML will validate against tei-p5-all,
and with xml:space in there it doesn't.)

I don't suppose this is controversial, but if it needs discussion I'm
happy to post to TEI-L.

Cheers,

Gabby

--