[tei-council] Scholarly publishing roundtable - possible role of the TEI

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at loria.fr
Tue Jan 19 02:26:09 EST 2010

[Sorry for duplicates if you are in more then one list, but the four,
council, board, libraries, publishing seem to be relevant]
Dear all (particularly American colleagues),
If you have a look at the following report resulting from the
Scholarly Publishing Roundtable convened since June 2009:
http://science.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=2710
You will see that the recommendations are not only tackling open
access issues (which is a good thing), but also state that "Policies
should be guided by the need to foster interoperability". It urges
there agencies to develop "robust standards for the structure of full
text and metadata, navigation tools and other applications to achieve
interoperability across the literature, taking international standards
into account". If these recommendations are to be followed, I guess
some of you should use their contacts within such agencies as the NEH
to propose their service to help actuate this policy. Has someone been
in the loop of this roundtable and/or see an opportunity for the
consortium to take action here? Good recommendations on our part may
prevent that some of these agencies reinvent the wheel of text encoding.
Laurent