[tei-council] A nice easy one

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sat Jan 16 11:38:42 EST 2010

Being a bit of a nut for orthography, I wholeheartedly support
"stand-off" or "standoff" but never "stand off" when used as an
adjective, as in "stand-off markup".  I don't think any of use "stand
off" as a verb (never hyphenated in any case) or as a noun (hyphenation
debatable).

The hyphenation fanatics get riled up over hyphenated words vs. space
between words, not hyphenated words vs. written as one word.  You write
something as one word if it becomes well known as a compound and isn't
hard to read without the hyphen.  That's why it's okay to write "email".
  There are a a few ossified exceptions (like "ice cream") that are
unfortunate pollutions of the purity of the English language. ;-)

Kevin