[tei-council] Re-opening a bug

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 21 06:11:34 EST 2009

I've re-opened bug #2812295 which was:
"graphic should allow desc child" http://sn.im/tei-bugs&aid=2812295

Originally I submitted this when I noticed that there was no way
to provide the equivalent of @html:alt text on <graphic/> when
used by itself.  I noticed this inside the <char> element, and
council debated it and approved the addition of <figure> to
<char>.  This solved my particular use-case, but not really the
bug as a whole.  There are many other places where <graphic/> is
allowed where you are unable to use <figure> (and where the use
of <figure> would be inappropriate).  For example inside
might want to provide a description of the graphic being
referenced and have no way to do so.  It was Gaby that pointed
out to me that while we solved my original problem we didn't
really fix the bug itself.

Merry Primary-Gifting-Season,
-James