[tei-council] [TEI-L] SV: TEI MIME type (fwd)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 10:33:45 EST 2009

I'm not sure I know what the concrete benefit to this will be yet
either, but it seems to me that the MIME type, as opposed to (software
specific, on the whole) processing instructions, is a standard notation
that could potentially be used by a range of different processing
environments/web services/etc. The mimetype 'application/atom+xml' can
be (and is) read by several environments that pay no attention to (and
don't care a fig for) the specific schema or version of Atom, included
namespaces, or anything else.

So although I can't see any use for this yet, once such a use comes
along, it'll be nice to have this under our belt already, rather than
having to rush to get it through then. (And if it doesn't, what have we
lost?)

James Cummings a écrit :
> Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> I've been pondering this a bit, so I'm coming in late.  Nothing I say
>> below influences our decision to go ahead with applying for a MIME type
>> (which I support).
>>
>> The original motivation for the MIME  type, as voiced on TEI-L, was to
>> allow someone's browser or email client to open TEI XML files in a
>> different program from other XML files.  That's all that was requested,
>> there's nothing in James's "devil's advocate objections" (which I've
>> included below) that would complicate accomplishing this simple goal.
>
> If the point is just to pass along to an operating system that
> this is an XML file and more specifically if it cares about types
> of XML, a TEI XML file, then you are right, none of my (fairly
> weak) objections really say much about that.  Having a mime type
> would indeed make that information available.  As long as we (and
> more importantly application developers) don't start reading more
> into the mime type than this, I'm happy with going forward. I'm
> still not convinced that there is an overwhelming need or benefit
> to be reaped, but I'm one loan voice. ;-)
>
> -James

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities