[tei-council] [TEI-L] SV: TEI MIME type (fwd)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 09:46:34 EST 2009

Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I've been pondering this a bit, so I'm coming in late.  Nothing I say
> below influences our decision to go ahead with applying for a MIME type
> (which I support).
>
> The original motivation for the MIME  type, as voiced on TEI-L, was to
> allow someone's browser or email client to open TEI XML files in a
> different program from other XML files.  That's all that was requested,
> there's nothing in James's "devil's advocate objections" (which I've
> included below) that would complicate accomplishing this simple goal.

If the point is just to pass along to an operating system that
this is an XML file and more specifically if it cares about types
of XML, a TEI XML file, then you are right, none of my (fairly
weak) objections really say much about that.  Having a mime type
would indeed make that information available.  As long as we (and
more importantly application developers) don't start reading more
into the mime type than this, I'm happy with going forward. I'm
still not convinced that there is an overwhelming need or benefit
to be reaped, but I'm one loan voice. ;-)

-James