[tei-council] Legal references to a customisation

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 8 10:00:51 EST 2009

>I'm negotiating the contract for AccessTEI. If you wanted to indicate in
>a contract a specific agreed upon version of a specific TEI
>customisation, what would you choose: the ODD, the RNG? This is to
>eliminate ambiguity in the case of disputes. I would say that the ODD is
>canonical, right?

What is the binding intent of the contract language in question? I
assume that it is to bind the vendor to deliver XML files that are valid
per one or more schemas? I should think that this is a clear requirement
in the case of a DTD or a RELAX NG schema. We supply schema(s), and the
vendor XML is either valid or not valid against the schema(s).

If the reference specification is the ODD, then would the contract need
to say anything about whose responsibility it is to generate a valid
schema from the ODD?

It's a bit like the difference between expecting a contractor to build a
house based on printed blueprints vs. to build a house based on a
computer file that can generate blueprints when processed by the
appropriate software.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA