[tei-council] Tickets for Monday

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 6 16:06:08 EST 2009

The main agenda item for Monday, as I see it, is clearing away of amber
tickets, so that we can proceed to the next release of P5 in February,
as usual.

In a (possibly futile) attempt to simplify discussion, I've grouped the
outstanding amber tickets below, and propose this as a way of
structuring our discussion.

The notation [*XX] means that council member XX has already volunteered
to speak to the ticket.
The notation [?XX] means that I am hoping council member XX will speak
to the ticket.

I suggest that we take them in the order presented below, and that the
chair is ruthless in moving us on if no consensus emerges.

--- Bibliography related ------

2881416: add meeting to model.respLike [*DS]
2714682: permit biblScope as child or as sibling of imprint [*KH]
2798963: add @role to author[*MH]
2812634:  @docStatus on <edition>  [?JC]
2728068:  suggested values for <relatedItem at type  [*PS]
2728061:  Add @target to relatedItem  [?LB]
2493417: <idno> coverage | 2009-01-08 [*JN]

I think we should be able to dispose of all of these quite rapidly, so
suggest we do them first, as a warm-up exercise.

------ Certainty/target/match issue -------

2877940 Revisit use of @target
2862151 Allow certainty etc in empty elements

This is a major issue which needs careful consideration, since it has
provoked a lot of discussion. Unfortunately, no-one seems to have yet
had time to review all the arguments, so I don't think it likely that
we'll be able to reach agreement in the meeting. What we must decide
before the next release is whether (a) we still think the decisions
taken earlier this year (about @match etc.) are fundamentally correct,
but we need to express them better or more clearly or (b) we made a
mistake and need to change the way this solution was implemented.

--- Manuscript/transcription-related ------

2900430: datatype of @scribe and @script  [?EP]
2907038: permit collections to nest/repeat within msIdentifier [?EP]
2859355:  <subst> to contain text [*DS]
2859183: Make all milestoneLike elements spanning [?JC]
2834511:  Add more elements to att.spanning with schematron constraint [?JC]
2834505:  @cert on choice and model.choicePart [?PB]
2783323:  add @from and @to to choice [*PB]

Most of these are fairly minor issues arising from a specific user need;
the ones relating to spanning attributes however may be controversial in
some quarters.

--- Old sores -------------

2794512 |Move <space> to core module | 2009-05-20  [*GB]
2531384 |Rationalise application of @target | 2009-01-23 [*GB]

These should be fairly easy to dispose of, as we have discussed them
several times already. If we do nothing, the next release will not
suffer particularly.

--- New subjects -----------

2811239:  new element 'object'  [*DP]
2811234:  add @ref to 'material' [*DP]
2724997:  Cater for audio/video facsimile

These may take some time as it's not clear where we're going with them.
If Dot is able to join us we should have a better sense, but I don't
anticipate resolving the associated issues very quickly, and they don't
have to be in the next release. It would be better to take time e.g. to
prepare good use cases.

---- ODD issues ------------

2890254: ability to define new element with same name as an existing [*DS]
2834871:TEI Changes since ODD last loaded
2411994: Define canonical way of referencing TEI element definitions
   2298442: ODD should customize ODD
1933481: ODD needs a way to indicate deprecation at next major releas

I suggest we defer discussion of all these (except the first) till we
can set up an ODD-specific meeting. Again, they are not deal breakers
for our next release.