[tei-council] [TEI-L] SV: TEI MIME type (fwd)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Nov 24 11:58:52 EST 2009

I hope it's OK to post even though I'm not officially on Council till
January. Smack me down if it's not.

The W3C document would seem to strongly support the creation of a TEI
MIME type:

"In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT assign Internet media
types beginning with "text/" to XML representations."
<http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-media-types>

This is partly to protect documents against transcoding by "Web
intermediaries".

According to the RFC, it seems that the decision should depend on
whether the XML is "readable by casual users":

"If an XML document -- that is, the unprocessed, source XML document
    -- is readable by casual users, text/xml is preferable to
    application/xml.  MIME user agents (and web user agents) that do not
    have explicit support for text/xml will treat it as text/plain, for
    example, by displaying the XML MIME entity as plain text.
    Application/xml is preferable when the XML MIME entity is unreadable
    by casual users."
<ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3023.txt>

This seems to me a completely unhelpful distinction -- what does
"readable" mean, and how would you define a "casual user"?

This contra argument on the feature request page:

"I think its especially complicated for us because we have no single
schema, but a series of application profiles."

would surely also apply to (for instance) SVG, which has SVG 1.0, SVG
1.1, SVG 1.2, SVG Tiny 1.2, SVG Print, SVG Filters, and so on. A mime
type is associated with a family of mutable recommendations rather than
with a specific schema or DTD. In the case of TEI, ordinary users create
mutations in addition to the standards body, which is slightly unusual,
but surely not a disqualifying factor.

There's an interesting parallel in MathML version 2:

"[RFC3023] assigns MathML the MIME type application/mathml+xml. [...]

In MathML 1.0, text/mathml was given as the suggested MIME type. This
has been superceded by RFC3023."
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-MathML2-20031021/chapter7.html>

In other words, where MathML was previously text/mathml, the W3C seems
to feel it's preferable to make it application/mathml+xml. If this is
the general trend, then I think TEI should probably follow it.

One particular use-case might be this: If we have an application/tei+xml
mime type, and web browsers are aware of it, an extension could easily
be written for (say) Firefox which invokes or offers a conversion using
Sebastian's stylesheets, or any other user-specified stylesheets. That
would enable us to browse and read TEI documents without an intermediary
web application to render them. That, in turn, would make it more likely
that our own community would provide online access to their XML documents.

Finally, I can't actually think of any harm that it would do. Can anyone?

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)
martin at mholmes.com