[tei-council] From <figure> to module dependencies

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 19 04:00:25 EST 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, at 08:26, Laurent Romary wrote:

> The discussion and module and the "all in core" principle stated by
> Sebastian shows that we will need rather soon than later a move
> towards a better architecture for modules. If we had a means to elicit
> module dependencies (<moduleRef> in <moduleSpec>?), this would allow
> us to have nice, focused modules that could serve as libraries of
> element to others.

As I was remarking to Lou and Laurent separately recently, we must
not lose sight of the fact that we increasingly enter the more complex
world of both writing a specification and implementing it. It would be easy
(relatively) to add markup to ODD to express the problem, but the bigger work
is in the implementation of if in tools for user which make sense of that markup.

I can think of lots of ways foreword, but one might be for someone to
write a free-standing "oddlint", which would do the same work as the sanity
checker in Roma, but more besides, including module dependency.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente