[tei-council] Minor issues with 7.2.2 (Speeches and Speakers)

Dot Porter dot.porter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 06:29:21 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

In proofreading a DH proposal for a colleague this morning I've read
through Guidelines section 7.2.2
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DR.html#DRSP) and
found what I believe are errors (or issues) simply because the
language is out of date. Specifically, the existing text refers to
IDREFS and doesn't take into account the existence of the namesdates
module.

Currently:

"The value of the @who attribute however is a unique code, probably
made up by the transcriber, which will unambiguously identify the
character to whom the speech is assigned. To enforce this uniqueness,
the base tag set for drama defines the value of this attribute as
IDREFS. This means that the codes included in it must correspond with
codes which are specified elsewhere in the document as identifiers for
particular elements, typically the role element in the cast list where
the character is named or described, as discussed in 7.1 Front and
Back Matter  above."

Perhaps it could be rewritten something like this:

"The value of the @who attribute however serves to unambiguously
identify the character to whom the speech is assigned. Having the
datatype data.pointer, @who may point to a person element in the TEI
header (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CC.html#CCAHPA),
to a role element in the cast list
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DR.html#DRCAST),
or to any external source that may be referenced via a URI."

I realize this is following the "hunt and peck" approach to Guidelines
development, but unless there is a strong feeling that the entire
chapter should be re-evaluated I hope we can agree to make this
relatively minor but nevertheless important change. I've also added
this as a feature request.

Hope those of you in Maryland are having a great time! I've been
reading the Twitter feed (and contributing a bit too). Stay warm.

Dot

--
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)          Metadata Manager
http://dho.ie          Email: dot.porter at gmail.com