[tei-council] that black bat night has flown

Dot Porter dot.porter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:46:51 EST 2009

I've been trying to get my head around the issue myself, and here is
what I've come up with (Gabby, can you please jump in if I'm
misunderstanding?).

The issue is what should be the context of @match on <certainty>. At
the moment "The context for the pattern is the nodeset identified by
the value of the target attribute. If no value is given for target,
the context is the document root element."

The proposal is to change the default context of @match (if there is
no value on @target) equal to the current element.

Practically, this change would make it easier to connect a certainty
element with the element it's associated with. E.g., a certainty
element could be placed inside or adjacent to the associated element
and could be associated with it quite simply, without the need to
include a value on @target or put in full xpath pointing from the root
up into the associated element (the current default), which requires
knowing where every element is at any time (and if new text is added
to a document, or is moved around, I can see this getting *very*
complicated - @match values might need to be rewritten or regenerated,
the more I think about it the more troublesome it seems).

On the other hand, if one wished to place all the certainty elements
together in some other part of the document, she could still use // to
start the xpath from the root node and point from the certainty
elements to the associated ones.

Assuming that my, um, assumptions are correct, I'm inclined to support
this change. One still has the option of starting from the root and it
makes it much easier to point from a certainty element to specific
associated elements.

My $.02

Dot

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Rahtz
<sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Frankly, I don't understand the issue, yet. I believe I _could_
> understand it, had I some time. Maybe you can all resolve it face to
> face at the TEI MM (at which I won't be present, I am sorry to say)
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> (acting) Information and Support Group Manager
> Oxford University Computing Services
>
> Sólo le pido a Dios
> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)          Metadata Manager
Digital Humanities Observatory (RIA), Regus House, 28-32 Upper
Pembroke Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
-- A Project of the Royal Irish Academy --
Phone: +353 1 234 2444        Fax: +353 1 234 2400
http://dho.ie          Email: dot.porter at gmail.com