[tei-council] Suppressed text: summary of position (FR 2242434)

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 04:52:23 EST 2009

Hi Lou,
> Your comments below imply that on the contrary
> you are talking about material which is written in the manuscript along
> with the rest, but which the editor believes to be interpolated from
> elsewhere (another ms, another tradition)  or in some other way
> "inauthentic".
Yes, precisely, which is a very common phenomenon  in medieval
manuscripts editing.
>  So this is a judgment of the editor, which possibly
> doesn't belong in a conservative leiden-style transcription at all?

It belongs to transcription as much as <supplied> or <sic> does: when an
editor uses <supplied> it is because he/she thinks that something is
missing, and this can be because of a evident damage, an unclear passage
or any other reasons (grammar, logic, etc.) which are not self evident,
but the results of an editorial judgement; the same apply to <sic> which
marks an editorial judgement about the correctness (for many reasons) of
a given reading. So if <supplied> and <sic> belong to transcription, the
marking up of interpolated/superfluous passages belong to the same
category.

But If you prefer, I will be perfectly happy to see such an element to
be included within the module for critical edition/apparatus.

Elena

elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
www.kcl.ac.uk