[tei-council] Suppressed text: summary of position (FR 2242434)

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 12:40:20 EST 2009

> Gabby also says this would not solve the case "for interpolated verses"
> which is quite possibly true, but (if I understand his reason for saying
> so) the same would apply to any phrase-level element you might invent.

The point is that interpolated segments (and the consequent need for an
editor to mark them as superfluous) are quite common in medieval texts.
This is a standard practice in editorial work and I think that a
standard practice should not be left to the invention of single editors
(with consequent proliferation of element, as it is now, by the way),
but TEI should provide a standard solution for it.

Interpolations are not errors of the scribes (so sic cannot be used),
but texts that have been added by someone (a scribe, a reader of the
text), perhaps initially as a gloss and then have been incorporated to
the text. The editor might want, in those cases, to espunge them
altogether, or mark them as superfluous, or say 'possibly interpolated'
(so a @cert attribute would be required).

Elena

--

Dr Elena Pierazzo