[tei-council] Suppressed text: summary of position (FR 2242434)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 12:32:54 EST 2009

Lou a écrit :
> The distinction between "(a) included in error, and marked as
> superfluous by the editor, or (b) is marked by the editor as an
> error, but with no statement as to what the correct form should be"
> looks pretty subtle to me.

Actually it's a pretty big difference, and I'd argue important (and
different from the distinction being discussed below). Correcting to
nothing, and marking as wrong but not offering a correction are
different things, and should be marked differently. I've never needed to
use (b) myself, and so the distinction I am making is between (a) and
(c) below.

> something else. But the distinction between "replaced by nothing" and
> (c) "replaced by something" is a fine one: surely the fundamental issue,
> which is what the tag should mark. is "something is wrong here" -- which
> is what <sic> does.

It's true that both of these instances (although see below) involve
tagging text that is in some sense "wrong", but I think the argument
people have been making is that there is a significant rather than fine
distinction between them. (The parallel is not quite the same as that
between <corr> and <supplied>, unless one uses supplied for restoration
of text that is erroneously absent from the source.)

> So my preference would be to add an attribute to <sic> -- @type would do
>   it.
> Gabby also says this would not solve the case "for interpolated verses"
> which is quite possibly true, but (if I understand his reason for saying
> so) the same would apply to any phrase-level element you might invent.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. What I was saying was that
Elena's example of the ends of verse lines that should be marked as
<superfluous> because they don't belong to the verse (and are probably,
in the editor's opinion) interpolated, cannot really be tagged as <sic>
with an @type to disambiguate. *If* we want to tag superfluous text
consistently across these different uses, then something other than
<sic> would be needed.

Hope that clarifies,

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)