[tei-council] Suppressed text: summary of position (FR 2242434)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 30 13:19:19 EDT 2009

See
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2242434&group_id=106328&atid=644065

The request is for an element to indicate text that the editor wants to
compare this to "supplied", since it is a different kind of editorial
intervention. (Supplied text is restored by the editor to indicate
damage, error, or some other cause of omission of original text--it is
relatively agnostic as to why the text was lost/omitted.)

In my field, this criterion of editorial markup is clearly recognised:
the Leiden Conventions use curly braces to represent this phenomenon
("litterae errore adiectae quas editor expunxit", e.g. dedika{ra}runt
[citing Panciera 1980]). Currently EpiDoc--which aims to match Leiden
concepts 1-to-1 with TEI patterns, recommends the use of "sic" for this
distinction (see
http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/gl/dev/erroneousinclusion.html which is
somewhat out of date in general but current for this purpose).

Elena supplies a different kind of example:
<l n='5'>sì com' l'uccellator prende l'uccello</l>
<gap/>
<l n="44">Più v'amo, dëa, che non faccio Deo</l>

Where the text marked here with "omit" is identified by the editor
(Contini 1960) as interpolated and doesn't fit in the meter; it is
marked in the printed text with a smaller font. This is a clear case
where "sic" is not appropriate, since it is not athetized by the editor
because of scribal error, but for another reason. Nevertheless, it seems
preferable to mark these two things with the same element.

"Sic" alone is not unambiguous, despite the EpiDoc recommendation cited
above:

Eleph<sic>eph</sic>ant
or

could mean either that the second "eph" is (a) included in error, and
marked as superfluous by the editor, or (b) is marked by the editor as
an error, but with no statement as to what the correct form should be.
This situation could in theory be solved with an attribute (which
wouldn't solve the case with interpolated verses), or a new element
(which would). My recommendation is for the latter.

A final comment/recommendation re the element name: this is not a "gap"
(which marks text missing from the edition, and therefore is empty
element), but rather an editorial intervention marking text as
superfluous. I don't much like the name "omit", despite its claimed
parallelism with "supplied", since it seems to be a processing
instruction rather than a description of what is in the text. (As noted
above, "supplied" is a description of how this text gets into the
edition when it is not in the source text. Our superfluous text may not
be omitted--as in the verse example above in a smaller font, or the
Leiden example in curly braces.) I would prefer something with the
semantics of "superfluous", rather than "omit", "suppress",
"expunxit"/"expunged" or the like. Might <superfl> be a bit less of an
eyeful?

Notes:
Panciera 1980 = Hans Krummrey & Silvio Panciera, 'Criteri di edizione e
segni diacritici', Tituli 2 (1980), 205-215.
Contini 1960 = Poeti del Duecento, ed. Gianfraco Contini.
Milano-Napoli:Ricciardi I, 155-64.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)