[tei-council] [Fwd: Humanites E-Book]

Daniel Paul O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 01:14:27 EDT 2009

I don't want to let this drop. Are we able to move soon to a
recommendation to the Board re convergence?

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> I think the way forward may be to continue with what Lou
> suggests--investigate the difference, and then if Council feels it is
> worthwhile doing, advise the Board that they would like us to approach
> them boardo-a-boardo with a proposal for bringing them back into the fold.
>
> So in short, it seems to me that Council should formulate and propose a
> course of action and then we can get started at the Board level. The
> idea of affiliations and cooperation more generally came up at the last
> Board meeting, although we were talking more generally about what
> Laurent calls "political" affiliations rather than technical ones. But
> we have lots of experience with technical cooperation and this seems to
> me like a really good one.
>
> -dan
>
> David Sewell wrote:
>
>> My press director, it turns out, doesn't know the Humanities E-Book
>> directors terribly well (met them once, like myself). So... if we want
>> to raise with them the issue of having their texts TEI P5-compliant, it
>> probably falls to Council or Board to approach them. As I believe Lou
>> discovered, technical details of their encoding practice are available
>> on their website,
>>
>> http://www.humanitiesebook.org/xml-books.html
>>
>> (White Paper No. 1 discusses at some length the derivation of their DTD
>> from TEI Lite.)
>>
>> Dan, is this something for Board to discuss?
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Lou Burnard wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks David for this excellent suggestion.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, i think it would be useful to start work on seeing just how
>>> close to being a pure TEI subset the dtd actually is, modulo a few tag
>>> renamings.... I'm happy to look into that next week.
>>>
>>> Lou

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)