[tei-council] [Fwd: Humanites E-Book]

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Oct 15 10:11:57 EDT 2009

All,

There are indeed political considerations here, and we need to proceed
sensitively.

Earlier this year, the ACLS Humanities E-Book folks put together a
proposal to expand their system so that the broad range of publishers
represented by the AAUP (Association of American University Presses,
which covers US + Canada plus publishers with branches here, like Oxford
and Cambridge) could include all sorts of monographs within that system.
I have not been directly involved in talks about that, but the director
of U of Virginia Press has. She also knows the directors of ACLS
Humanities E-Book, Eileen Gardiner and Ron Musto, better than I do (I
was one a panel with them once). In addition, she is a past president of
the AAUP.

Let me suggest that I ask Penny whether she would feel comfortable
raising with them on our (TEI Council's) behalf the concern about
compatibility with TEI P5 and the offer to collaborate on mapping. We
can put this in the context of increasing use of TEI as an archival and
publishing standard, and the desirability of avoiding "orphan"
implementations of TEI. At the same time we need to recognize that the
ACLS has a viable, longstanding, working publication platform, and I
would hope that we can extend an offer of collaboration without seeming
too colonial ("bringing the light of P5 civilisation to the quaint
tribal cultures").

Does that make sense?