[tei-council] valList in <content> of <elementSpec>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 06:34:52 EDT 2009

On 01/09/2009 10:45, "Lou Burnard" <lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> When you say "sibling" do you mean *alternate* or do you mean that one
> might supply both a <content> and a <valList> ?
>
> I am aware that you can supply both a <datatype> and a <valList> for an
> <attDef> (and indeed a <dataDesc>) but that's already caused confusion,
> so I'd like to be persuaded that it's a precedent we want to follow.

But if we made the two situations the same at stage 1, then we could more
easily enforce the alternation in a stage 2 if desired. It would be good to
have the philosophical discussion about whether valList can meaningfully be
combined with other schema rules, taking both elements and attributes into
account at the same time.

I worry that use of <valList> in elementSpec will increase, and it'll get
harder to withdraw it from <content> as more ODDs exhibit that pattern

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente