[tei-council] valList in <content> of <elementSpec>

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 05:45:04 EDT 2009

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>>> I think the only acceptable answer here is 1., and I propose that we
>>> allow <valList> as a sibling of <content>, in the same way that it is
>>> a sibling of <datatype> in <attDef>.
>>>
>> don't like this very much
>
> why not? it would put <elementSpec> and <attDef>  more in sync, which
> can only be good (expecting as I do that we'll want to blur the
> distinction in ODD3).

When you say "sibling" do you mean *alternate* or do you mean that one
might supply both a <content> and a <valList> ?

I am aware that you can supply both a <datatype> and a <valList> for an
<attDef> (and indeed a <dataDesc>) but that's already caused confusion,
so I'd like to be persuaded that it's a precedent we want to follow.