[tei-council] valList in <content> of <elementSpec>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 31 07:28:41 EDT 2009

On TEI-L I wrote:

The content model for <content> is this:

   <rng:zeroOrMore>
       <rng:choice>
         <rng:ref name="macro.schemaPattern"/>
         <rng:ref name="valList"/>
       </rng:choice>
     </rng:zeroOrMore>

where macro.schemaPattern expands to "anything". What upsets the
schema processor is that if it meets <valList>, is that matching the
"valList" rule or the "anything" rule? RELAX NG does not care, but W3C
Schema has to come to a conclusion about it (as DTDs do as well), and
it has no way to work out the truth.

What's to be done? we have three choices:

  1. stop allowing <valList> as a child of <content> and make it a
sibling instead
  2. remove <content> from tei_all to avoid the situation
  3. accept that we don't support XSD schemas properly

I think the only acceptable answer here is 1., and I propose that we
allow <valList> as a sibling of <content>, in the same way that it is
a sibling of <datatype> in <attDef>.

Does anyone have any deep thoughts on the subject?

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente