[tei-council] anyone for izhevsk?

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 24 05:55:34 EDT 2009

Back in March, Victor Baranov contacted me and (I believe) Dan O'D about
presenting a TEI workshop in Russia, similar to the one which I gave in
Kazan last year. That was a great experience -- the infrastructure
worked and the students were keen and friendly, and the opportunity to
meet people from places you've never heard of and can't pronounce anyway
was  exceptional. So I said I would like to go.

However, after some indecision, the dates are now fixed for this year's
repeat such that it's really impossible for me to go. So I have written
apologetically to Victor, withdrawing but also saying I would try to
find a substitute. Hence this request for help!

The dates for the workshop are 12-15 Oct, and the proposed syllabus is
attached. If it's like the one I gave in Kazan, it would be possible to
simply recycle the material from that: all the material is on our
website at http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Oxford/2008-08-kazan/, in both
English and Russian.
The Russian versions were made by Tania Timcenko and by Alexei
Lavrentiev, whom Council members will remember from our meeting in Lyon.
He hasn't confirmed it, but it appears that Alexei will be helping with
this one too, which also makes life much easier for whoever picks up
this baton.

If you, or anyone you know, is interested, they would need to get back
to Victor as soon as possible, in order to get visa (etc) arrangements
under way. Mine took a week and involved queuing for four hours in the
rain outside the Russian Embassy -- but that's because I am
disorganised. It would be much appreciated, and would help further
foster the positive feelings about the TEI currently evident in the
Russian "cultural heritage" research sector -- a significant market for us.

Lou