[tei-council] Shopping cart tryout

Daniel Paul O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:28:31 EDT 2009

Hi Lou,

An important quick question (ignoring for the moment other points you
make that are self-explanatory):

> 5. More seriously, the text talks about "subscribing as an institution
> or a project", which is very confusing. Elsewhere on the site, we've
> been careful to use the term "membership" and variants thereon
> strictly for what institutions do, and the term "subscription" and
> variants thereon strictly for what individuals do. (At least that's
> what I remember us doing"!). This is a handy distinction which your
> current wording obfuscates. Please change it to "Become a member
> institution or project" passim.
Do you know which page this happens on? I agree absolutely with you
about the language and its importance, but I'm not seeing this. I'm
seeing lots of places where it uses "join the tei as an individual or an
institution," sometimes with "individual (subscriber) or institution
(member)" specified, and I'm seeing lots of places where it explicitly
distinguishes among the different categories (e.g. "Individuals may
subscribe online now using our new webstore. Institutions, which
typically require invoices, currently should contact the membership
secretary <mailto:membership at tei-c.org> to open or renew a membership").
I'm not seeing anywhere where it says "subscribing as an institution or
a project"--no doubt it is there and I'm just overlooking it, but since
this development server isn't open to google, I can't find it. If you
could point me to a specific place where that language is collapsed like
that, I'd like to fix it before we go live! It is of course a crucial
distinction and certainly one I tried to maintain throughout; so far,
I've not found a single example.

Thanks very much for reading the site so carefully!

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)