[tei-council] Shopping cart tryout

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 17 10:22:03 EDT 2009

In addition to James's comments:-

1.

"With this new webstore, the TEI can now ... (we will be introducing an
option for on-line registration of institutions later this year)"

Time-specific wording like this is generally a bad idea on a website. In
six months time, when this wonderful shopping trolley has bedded in,
we'll look really silly claiming that this is a "new" webstore. Will we
remember to go back and change it? I doubt it. Likewise "later this
year". Which year? Why give a hostage to fortune anyway? Just give us
the facts now.

2. The text "about the TEI" repeats matter given elsewhere on the site.
Why would you ever get to this page unless you already knew about the
TEI? Repeating it is, in James's fine phrase, "just annoying". And if
you remove it, then the plug for the 2009 conference at the foot of the
page wouldn't be hidden.

3. Please change "shopping cart" to "basket" passim.

4. "In the meantime, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Can we improve
the information, aesthetics, or ease of use of this site? Please let us
know!"

This looks pretty lame to me. There isn't a feedback link on this page,
and where should such feedback go anyway? If you really want to keep it
please change "aesthetics" to "appearance".

5. More seriously, the text talks about "subscribing as an institution
or a project", which is very confusing. Elsewhere on the site, we've
been careful to use the term "membership" and variants thereon strictly
for what institutions do, and the term "subscription" and variants
thereon strictly for what individuals do. (At least that's what I
remember us doing"!). This is a handy distinction which your current
wording obfuscates. Please change it to "Become a member institution or
project" passim.

6. Please lose the "filter results by" drop down. It looks silly when
there are only two possibilities.

7. The "Call for price" text goes somewhere useful, but the identically
worded button just above doesnt do anything. Either make it a link to
the same place, or lose it.

8. On the membership page, I would suggest highlighting the voting
benefit, since this is the crucial distinction between members and
subscribers. We used to have a table showing the actual level of
discount applicable to the geographically challenged potential members
-- was that removed consciously?

9. "Because most institutions prefer to be invoiced for their
membership, on-line registration is currently disabled." I don't think
that's actually the reason is it? Anyway, why not just say "Membership
fees are invoiced annually: please contact...." leaving open the
possibility of online servicing without making a big deal of its current
absence.

10. Why do the registration details *require* a phone? And shouldnt
there somewhere be the standard disclaimer promising not to sell my
contact details to anyone?

I couldn't get any further than trying to registrate myself ("Email
Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host"), but maybe that's
intentional.