[tei-council] NASA looking to digitize Wernher von Braun's Notes

Dot Porter dot.porter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:25:10 EDT 2009

Out of curiosity, is anyone moving forward on this effort? If so,
could the council have a report? Responses are due August 31.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/363386main_von_Braun_notes_RFI.pdf

Dot

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Daniel Paul
O'Donnell<daniel.odonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've written up a bunch of questions for their point people--e.g. how
> big is the collection? what level of detail are you interested in
> regarding hands or corrections, etc.
>
> The RFI was very bare bones.
>
> -dan
>
> Gabriel BODARD wrote:
>> I don't have a whole lot of time for this right now but I'm happy to
>> help out with drafting and/or proofing. I note that I'm more a
>> text-transcription than facsimile person, however. (I like that module,
>> but I've never used it.)

>> Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>>> If this works for everybody. There could be some external people as
>>> well. Because of time-lines, we should play as much as possible to
>>> everybody's strengths and current work.
>>>
>>> I am willing to pull it together, though I'd appreciate some assistance.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the thing for me (or perhaps better a couple of us) to do is
>>> read through the RFI in detail tonight and propose an approach and break
>>> down of the sections (Sebastian, would you be interested given Oxford's
>>> interest in participating in any eventual bid as an institution?). Then
>>> we solicit these from one or more council members each and perhaps also
>>> external experts and/or members, where they have particular
>>> expertise--e.g. in mass digitization work-flows, markup of modern
>>> manuscript texts, facsimile and text linking, etc.
>>>
>>> I think it sounds like a cool idea. We certainly have access to all the
>>> expertise from intellectual content to workflow.

> --
> Daniel Paul O'Donnell
> Associate Professor of English
> University of Lethbridge
>
> Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
> Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
> President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
> Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)
>
> Vox: +1 403 329-2377
> Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)
> Home Page: http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/

Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)          Metadata Manager
Digital Humanities Observatory (RIA), Regus House, 28-32 Upper
Pembroke Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
-- A Project of the Royal Irish Academy --
Phone: +353 1 234 2444        Fax: +353 1 234 2400
http://dho.ie          Email: dot.porter at gmail.com