[tei-council] Internationalization

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Fri Jul 10 10:04:41 EDT 2009

I don't think it is a problem in the context of Tite. But the question
was about internationalization. Suppose you have a French customization
where roughly half of the standard TEI elements are renamed, e.g.:

	add	->	ajout
	del	->	supp
	choice	->	choix

and you are then editing a file that looks like this:

namespace. But this is not evident from the local context. Is that bad?
For a newcomer to TEI, it could certainly be a source of confusion.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> David Sewell wrote:
> >  so a human editor of a file,
> > pre-processing, has no way to know which elements pick up their
> > namespacing from the DTD without looking at the DTD. Hence it may be
> > unclear which elements are canonical TEI elements and which are renamed
> > or otherwise custom elements. Whether or not this is truly a "problem"
> > depends on the context, I suppose.
> >
> I really can't see this as problem. why is this human editor and why does she
> care
> whether elements are canonical or not in Tite? the end user editor will have
> had it
> translated to real TEI,  and the digitizing editor doesnt care.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA