[tei-council] Internationalization

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Fri Jul 10 09:30:04 EDT 2009

The problem with the shorthand is that its effects are visible only
after processing by the XML parser; so a human editor of a file,
pre-processing, has no way to know which elements pick up their
namespacing from the DTD without looking at the DTD. Hence it may be
unclear which elements are canonical TEI elements and which are renamed
or otherwise custom elements. Whether or not this is truly a "problem"
depends on the context, I suppose.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> David Sewell wrote:
> > Hmm, others will need to weigh in as I have not worked much with i18n. But I
> > don't think it's a good solution, as in general (leaving Tite aside as a
> > sort of special case) it's not healthy to "mask" differences in namespaces
> > by using the DTD trick.
>
> it's not a trick. its just a shorthand. if you run the file
> through an XML parser, the xmlns decls will all come in
> as expected. Just the same facility as DTD folks have always
> had.
>
> > (Are there in-the-wild examples of projects that have translated lots of TEI
> > element names into another language?)
>
> I don't know of any at all.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA