[tei-council] Internationalization (was: RE: Tite namespace primer)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Jul 9 23:09:10 EDT 2009

Hmm, others will need to weigh in as I have not worked much with i18n.
But I don't think it's a good solution, as in general (leaving Tite
aside as a sort of special case) it's not healthy to "mask" differences
in namespaces by using the DTD trick.

(Are there in-the-wild examples of projects that have translated lots of
TEI element names into another language?)

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, O'Donnell, Dan wrote:

> David,
>
> Would 3b work in the case of an internalisation too? (can't see why
> not). Is it a solution to the larger issue of what to do about schemas
> that modify some TEI elements and copy others?

[...]

> 3B. Include a DTD subset assigning the correct namespace attributes to
> the convenience elements:
>
> <!DOCTYPE text [
>    <!ATTLIST i xmlns CDATA "http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0">
> ]>
> <text xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
> </text>
>
> When the latter document is parsed by an XML parser, it is assigned the
> correct namespace, and will thus validate against a RELAX NG or W3C
> Schema as well.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA