[tei-council] Tite and conformance (long)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 18:39:54 EDT 2009

James Cummings wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> Indeed it was. I had in mind the broken-ness of not using namespace
>> prefixes to distinguish its non-TEI bits from the rest though.
>
> Where has this idea originated?

I believe this idea originates with the chair of the TEI Board from whom
I quote:

"In Tite, no distinct namespace is supplied for these elements (though
it  is easily and automatically determined). This is because it wants to
avoid requiring keying the additional namespace identifiers. But by not
supplying a distinct namespace, Tite is engaging in a practice that is
"strongly deprecated" by the Guidelines (23.3.4
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/USE.html#CFNS)."

Fortunately, (or actually not fortunately but as a result of some hard
work by Sebastian inter alia) this is almost entirely wrong. Apologies
if I misrepresent the chair's understanding in this regard.