[tei-council] Tite and conformance (long)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 18:29:26 EDT 2009

Lou Burnard wrote:

> Indeed it was. I had in mind the broken-ness of not using namespace
> prefixes to distinguish its non-TEI bits from the rest though.

Where has this idea originated?  When I look at the ODD, like Sebastian,
I see that the additions are in their own Tite namespace?  I must have
skimmed over an earlier message while busy where someone suggested that
getting rid of these was a good idea, and for that I apologise. I don't
think the extra few characters cause data providers any difficulty, and
if they want to do it in no namespace (or TEI one) and then put in an
extra step of transforming it to have TEI and Tite namespaces, then
perfectly fine.  But I don't see why the TEI should consider making Tite
*worse* by removing the Tite namespace.  Data providers can of course
ignore namespaces and add them in afterwards with a completely trivial
XSLT, and we'd have nothing to say about that. I just don't really see
the benefit in keystrokes (like they actual type tags!) they can use any
format they want internally, and map from that to TEI Tite as a delivery
format for their customers.  (In fact, that is exactly what I'd expect
them to do rather than change the internal workings of the transcription
engines they use.)

The missing header seems much more important to me. ;-)

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford