[tei-council] Tite and conformance (long)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 14:57:40 EDT 2009

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:

> In Tite, no distinct namespace is supplied for these elements (though it
> is easily and automatically determined).

the extension elements _are_ in a distinct namespace.

<elementSpec ident="ornament" mode="add"
ns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0">

> This is because it wants to
> avoid requiring keying the additional namespace identifiers.
thats a red herring. the DTD finagles it so that you
can avoid the specific prefix or xmlns, but its still there

> 1) Is there a way of assigning namespaces to specific elements in a
> single location within the document so that, for example, <i> is
> understood as <tite:i> and <p> as <tei:p> without having to indicate the
> namespace affilitation on every instance?

if you use the DTD, this is the effect you have, yes. if you use
pure RELAXNG or XSD, then no.

> 2) Do we currently list simple copies of canonical tei elements in
> distinct namespaces? I.e. when we publish an internationalisation and
> assign it to its own namespace

we have not actually ever done that, note.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente