[tei-council] Supplying default namespace with TEI Tite (fwd)

Daniel Paul O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:25:32 EDT 2009

Lou Burnard wrote:
> David Sewell wrote:
>
>> Just a quick comment on all this--I'm in between meetings.
>>
>> For Tite encoding, there is very little reason to care about the
>> difference, at the initial encoding stage, between
>>
>>   <i>word</i>  and <t:i>word</t:i>
>>
>> *except* in the case where content owners are paying per XML character.
>> That's the bottom-line reason for avoiding <hi rend="italics"> in the
>> first place and using convenience elements instead.
>>
>> If Tite is used by people applying it for their own purposes, I see it
>> as very little handicap to rely solely on the RELAX NG schema and
>> explicitly namespace their convenience elements via prefixing.
>>
>> So this all may be a non-issue.
>>

> If the bottom line is to minimize keystrokes, then XML is a really
> really bad choice!

Well, I think the point is to find a balance between minimising
keystrokes and minimising post-keying processing. So you use a clearly
minimised and standard customisation with fixed rules and then process
it after you've paid your keyboarders as little as possible to bring it
into more obvious conformance with TEI.

Since this happens in the wild--Tite is based on pre-existing tagsets
used by libraries for this kind of work--it must involve some kind of
reasonable need.

-dan

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)