[tei-council] Supplying default namespace with TEI Tite (fwd)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 7 11:17:32 EDT 2009

Just a quick comment on all this--I'm in between meetings.

For Tite encoding, there is very little reason to care about the
difference, at the initial encoding stage, between

  <i>word</i>  and <t:i>word</t:i>

*except* in the case where content owners are paying per XML character.
That's the bottom-line reason for avoiding <hi rend="italics"> in the
first place and using convenience elements instead.

If Tite is used by people applying it for their own purposes, I see it
as very little handicap to rely solely on the RELAX NG schema and
explicitly namespace their convenience elements via prefixing.

So this all may be a non-issue.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA