[tei-council] word-dividing

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 13:24:25 EDT 2009

Nowhere do we claim that @type="nobreak" is "best practice".

What we *actually* say  at present is:

    line break in any respect, but its most common use is to specify
    that the presence of the line break does not imply the end of the
    word in which it is embedded. The value <val>nobreak</val> is
    recommended for this purpose, but encoders are free to choose
    whichever values are appropriate. </p>

I propose at the next release to change

"The value <val>nobreak</val>"

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> We really shouldn't define the examples as 'best practice' IMO. They
> should not be bad practice, and they can be 'a good practice' but we
> want to restrict claiming normative force to places where we mean it.
>
> Elena Pierazzo wrote:
>
>> Sure we can change things (aren't we in the council precisely for this
>> reason?) but I was wondering the opportunity of suggesting a new value
>> six month (or earlier, if Sebastian can cope) after having introduced
>> it... it doesn't look quite good, does it? In these six months people
>> may have already started to use it, thinking to follow the TEI
>> recommendation, then finding themselves that they are no longer within
>> 'best practice'. Don't know, honestly.

Your request to join the