[tei-council] word-dividing

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 13:20:43 EDT 2009

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:

> What if terrorists discover this weak underbelly of
> civilisation and decide to bring down the world economy by preventing
> new updates of the Guidelines. I shudder to think of the chaos that
> might ensue!

I can't summon up much of shudder, to be honest.

for the record (in case swine flu comes calling tonight),
this is what it means to "release a new TEI":

1. run "make" on the Guidelines source ; see if errors
    are reported anywhere, especially from the test suite.
    repeat 1000000 times.

2. update the file VERSION and the title page of the Gidlines,
    generate a new changelog, write release notes. commit all
    to Sourceforge

3. run "make dist". this builds a set of 7 zip files in the "release"
    directory.

4. transfer those zip files to Sourceforge

5. go to SF file release pages and make a new release
    of the "all tei" and "tei as components" packages. people
    them with the zip files, add in release notes, change log etc.
    all as dictated by SF.

6. back at base, run the script "makeTEIWebsite", which
    rebuilds all the HTML with the Google Analytics code in

7. transfer all the zip files, and the new HTML, to www.tei-c.org,
    and unpack in /usr/share (leaving out top level of each zip). make
    sure the new HTML overloads the distributed package!

8. on www.tei-c.org, run "tei-database-rebuild", which remakes
    the eXist database for Roma

9. now build Debian packages. the source of these is on the
    Subversion server at OUCS, but can also be got from the
    source packages of previous releases. to do this requires
    some understanding of Debian packaging.

10. get those Debian packages to a server and remake the index
     (again, assumes you know how debian repositories work).

So it's not that bad. But the processes are slow, there is a fair
amount of file transfer across the atlantic, and the SF release
procedure is tedious form filling. It takes me the whole evening,
to get stages 2-10 done.

You can probably tell this is old skool working. It'd be great
if we could automate more.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente