[tei-council] word-dividing

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 13:01:14 EDT 2009

I have followed the discussion without taking part partially because I
thought it was a trivial matter (sorry guys...), and partially because I
had no particular preferences to express.
I admit my preference now is set for inWord (thanks Lou), but: as the
Guidelines are already published with the recommendation for 'nobreak'
is there room for any further discussion/modification? This is a genuine
question, meaning: can we now change what has already been published?

Elena

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Thank you Gabby! I can read the list in digest form, I discover, though
> not (yet) post to it.
> When I can, I shall be posting the following comment
>
> "midword" is definitely good. How about "inWord" ? (shorter, doesnt make
> me think of a cricketting position)
>

> Gabriel Bodard wrote:
>
>> Sorry, Lou: I thought I remembered that you had taken part in
>> conversations on the EpiDoc Markup list several years ago, and so
>> assumed that you were still on it.
>>
>> http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/markup.html
>>
>> That wasn't supposed to be an obscure reference.

>> Lou Burnard a écrit :
>>
>>> What is the "markup" list? I'm not on it, and no-onewho is saw fit to
>>> make the suggestion here or I'd have probably seized on it with
>>> gratitude.  I really must protest at the implication that we're making
>>> arbitrary decisions here. There was  a long discussion when the @type
>>> attribute was added to these elements ages ago. No one proposed any
>>> suggested values at that time. In the first message in the thread below,
>>> you see Gabriel saying he's open to suggestions for them, but again no
>>> discussion occurred. My report that we'd decided on "nobreak" here at
>>> Oxford is at the most recent end of the thread, not the impost distant
>>> one. Give us a break Dot, we're trying to get the job done, and the
>>> weather's not helping!
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I just received mail from someone else concerned with how
>>> this textual phenomenon is to be encoded. Their practice is to record
>>> *two* <lb>s -- one for the "facs" view of the document (faithful to its
>>> appearance) and the other for the "editorial" view (in which the word is
>>> reassembled). So if they found a word "foobar" hyphenated at a
>>> linebreak, it would be recorded like this
>>>
>>> foo<lb type="facs"/>bar<lb type="edit"/>
>>>
>>> I don't know how many thousands of cases they've got marked up like that
>>> already...

Dr Elena Pierazzo
Research Associate
Centre for Computing in the Humanities