[tei-council] reminder

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 12:28:44 EDT 2009

Lou Burnard wrote:
>> (2) height/width/depth: I still don't find the definitions of these
> Had another go at improving those definitions. Dont expect you'll like
> these any better though.

Depth I like. The other two I'm not sure I can see the difference.
Height in particular is convoluted, since the description currently
doesn't help at all for (e.g.) an altar inscribed on the top. In
'height' and 'width', do we mean "e.g." instead of "i.e."?

Anyway, as Sebastian and I discussed earlier in this thread, I think the
basic definition of height should be "measurement of the height of a
manuscript or object" tout court, with specifics only by way of example
(if at all).

>> (9) lb: should we add an example of the usage of
>> lb/type=word-dividing, which currently sits a little uncomfortably in
>> the note. I suggest "Cae<lb type="worddiv"/>sari".
>
> Don't know what note you're referring to. Don't see the point of the
> @type attribute. Haven't done anything.

This was discussed some months ago, and is the reason @type was allowed
on <lb> in the first place. There is currently a note at the bottom of
LB that says: "The type attribute may be used to characterize the
linebreak in any respect, for example as word-breaking or not." We have
literally thousands of examples of this in EpiDoc files, where words are
not always tagged explicitly and it's the only way we can be sure to
tokenize correctly. I just thought an example would help to clarify the
use-case.

(If people feel strongly that [e.g.] "wordDividing" would be a better
recommended value than "worddiv", I'm happy to make that part of our P5
upgrade script.)

Best,

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)